Spectral Illuminations II

Spectral Illuminations II
A Projection Mapping Exhibition


Wednesday, September 13, 2017 @ 8-11PM
Memorial Park Library – 1221 2 St. SW
FREE Admission

Featured Artists: Audrey Burch, Michael Grills, Jacqueline Huskisson, Mat Lindenberg, Greg Marshall, Isabel Porto, Jadda Tsui, Matthew Waddell & Laura Anzola, Aran Wilkinson-Blanc, and  Julian Zwack

Local media artists will be illuminating the beautiful historic Memorial Park Library with the art of projection mapping (site-specific projections that alter the appearance of the surface on which they are projected). These projections will light up and animate surfaces throughout the building, interpreting the amazing history of the library.

The selected artists developed their projection mapping project over the summer, having open access to EMMEDIA’s resources including mentorship, equipment, facilities, and a series of projection mapping workshops.

If you are interested in learning more about projection mapping, we are offering a free workshop on Saturday, September 16 at Memorial Park Library. For more info, go to: http://emmedia.ca/2017/07/projection-mapping-workshop/

About EMMEDIA Gallery & Production Society:

Since its inception in 1979, EMMEDIA has maintained a two-part mandate: to support both the production and presentation of media arts. EMMEDIA responds to a broad community by offering affordable access to media art production tools and facilities, services, technical and educational support, an array of production programs and residencies, and a year round schedule of public exhibition programs including the PARTICLE + WAVE Media Arts Festival. Our programs strive to foster artistic dialogue and engagement through complementary activities such as artist talks and panel discussions, workshops and publications.

About Beakerhead:

Beakerhead is an annual program that brings together the arts, sciences, and engineering sectors to build, engage, compete, and exhibit interactive works of art, engineered creativity and entertainment. Year-round programming and community-connecting culminates in a five-day citywide spectacle consisting over over 60 events centred around delightfully bizarre engineered installations and artworks. For more information, go to: www.beakerhead.com

Brief History of Memorial Park Library:

The Memorial Park Library opened on January 2, 1912. It is both Calgary and Alberta’s first public library, and the only remaining Carnegie library in the province.

The funding of the Memorial Park Library building and founding of the Calgary Public Library was made possible through the dedicated work of Annie Davidson, a widow with a passion for books, and a small group of fellow literary enthusiasts.  The Calgary Women’s Literary Club, founded in 1906, continues to meet monthly at the Memorial Park Library.

Right from its inception, the Memorial Park Library was viewed as a public library as well as a cultural and education centre. The original building plan accommodated both library and educational functions including library reading rooms and an extensive book collection area, lecture halls, children’s reading room, a natural history museum with a display of dinosaur bones, stuffed birds, buffalo heads and mineral specimens (on the second floor), and facilities to house a number of community and educational clubs and associations. Included among the associations was the Calgary College, which was the precursor to the University of Calgary. With its focus on culture and civic education the Memorial Park Library became known as the “centre of culture” in Calgary.

During the depression, over 40% of Calgarians were library members and the collections were so well used, that readers were restricted to 4 books at a time.  By 1963, the Library had outgrown the facility, and the collections and services were moved downtown to its current location in the Central Library. A small branch library remained open to serve the immediate community, and was closed in 1967. Subsequently, the building was leased to the Glenbow Foundation as an archives and research centre, until the Glenbow moved to its present location in 1976.

After considerable public debate it was decided to restore and reoccupy the building as it was seen as an important link with the cultural and intellectual development of the city, which needed to be preserved. Upon completion of the renovation, the Library officially reopened in October 1977, with the Muttart Public Art Gallery leasing the second floor.  In 1999, the Muttart Public Art Gallery gave notice it was terminating its lease at the end of that year, and in 2000, the second floor was leased to the Alliance Française. The lecture hall on the main level of Memorial Park was converted from a meeting/program room to public space for computers, studying and quiet reading as part of revitalization efforts, meeting rooms were refurbished, public hours were extended and signage was installed to enhance community awareness of the Library. The Library Foundation took over the second floor in 2012, and in 2017, this space was turned over to Wordfest and the Beltline Community Association. They have recently launched the Sunlife Financial Musical Instrument Lending Library, making music more accessible for all Calgarians!

Comments are closed.